Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Film: The Princess of Montpensier


The Princess of Montpensier, Bertrand Tavernier's gorgeous historical drama set in sixteenth century France and based on the eponymous novel by Madame de Lafayette, opens this Friday in US theaters. When the film opened in Europe last May, I longed for an American showing. Now I'm hoping to be lucky enough to find it in a nearby theater. If not, I'll have to wait for the DVD, but at least a DVD is assured now that the film is showing in the States. You can view the English trailer here. Film Journal International ran a wonderful interview with Tavernier here. The reviews are uniformly exceptional. If anyone is lucky enough to view the film, please come back and share your impressions! I'm off to see if I can find it in an area theater.

6 comments:

AnneC. said...

I've seen it. went to go see it when it came out here in france. amazing movie, very realistic, amazing costumes!

Julianne Douglas said...

Thank you! So far I haven't been able to find it playing near me, but I don't think they've posted this weekend's movies yet. I'm glad you recommend it!

Gillian said...

This doesn't seem to be out in the UK until July. I'm optimistic that they'll show it in Edinburgh though- fingers crossed. I've been looking forward to it for ages. :)

Cerise DeLand said...

I have seen the trailer and am absolutely mad to see the movie. It looks divine.

Beth said...

Would love to see this. Hope it comes to the theaters here.

(And thanks for stopping by my blog! :) )

Julianne Douglas said...

You're welcome, Beth! And thanks for stopping by here!