Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Brains in a Bowl


A while back, the New York Times ran an interesting travel article on Lyon which contained some interesting factoids about the silk industry. It appears one of Lyon's gastronomical specialties is cervelle de canut, "silkworker's brain," a dish of fromage blanc studded with spices. Hmmm. I imagine it tastes better than it sounds. I'd gladly mosey over to Lyon to find out.                                                                                                                                                         

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope if you make it over to Lyon, you'll make better use of your time than to scarf a bowl of seasoned cheese!!
I've always been amazed that the research for your books has been mostly school/book knowledge, any chance you may require a trip to the setting in the near future? renee

Tess said...

Well, it certainly couldn't sound any worse!!

Julianne Douglas said...

Renee--I'd certainly love to go back to France on a research trip, but it's not in the cards anytime soon. Maybe next summer. I did visit Fontainbleau on my last trip, but that was long before I'd decided to set a novel there. There are different things I'd pay attention to there now.

Tess--At least it's only cheese and not sweetbreads. Once, in France, my husband ordered "ris de veau," thinking it was calves' kidneys or something similar. (I didn't know what it was myself, and we were with Americans who didn't speak any French at all.) It turned out to be sweetbreads. Not wanting to make a fuss, he forced himself to eat it. That was the last time he's ever ordered a dish without knowing how to translate it!

Thanks for reading the blog and adding me to your blog roll! I hope you don't mind I've added yours to mine. :)